This started out to be a good potato soup but I love potato soup and one would have to do something terrible to it, for me, not to enjoy it. This is just the opposite. The cheddar cheese gave this a personality of its own. The flavor of the cheese transformed it from a decent soup to a tasty soup, to love.
Other than the chopping, this soup is easy to make. First the onions and celery. Then, I decided to add some red pepper, forgetting this was going to be blended and the red would not be seen. I used fingerling potatoes and left them with the skin on and these had to be chopped also. Although, I did shred the cheese with a grater, work could have been saved by using a knife and cutting thin pieces. It would melt just as well in the hot soup. I would use white cheddar, next time, just to change the color of the soup, to something brighter and lighter.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cheese, milk, pepper and paprika. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- Golden Potato Cakes (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Salmon Chowder (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Broccoli-Cheddar Soup (thesmartcookiecook.com)
- Easy Potato Soup (nancysrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Hash Brown Casserole (manaboutfood.com)
- This is linked to Tasty Tuesdays Tuesdays At the Table Tasty Tuesdays Made From Scratch Tuesday Tuesday Tasty Tidbits Tuesday To Do List Tuesday Time Out Inspiration Party Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays Tuesday Confessional Topsy Turvy Tuesday Recipe Roundup Gluten Free on a Budget Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training Tuesday Time Out Take a Look Tuesday Hearth and Soul Hop