We play around with ingredients, as foodies, and sometimes the results are just fine or could have been better and then there are times, when flavors blend and one could finish a pot of soup, in one sitting. I think, this is the soup. This is a Mark Bittman recipe and if you have read his recipes, you know, he leaves a lot to the cook to decide. He gives options and the person, at the stove, decides which option is for him/her. I added mango as an afterthought and it was just right. Since, I added it, after the soup was blended, I don’t thing the mango flavor was as strong as it could have been
Roasted Butternut Soup with Apples
Makes 4 servings
1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes (Acorn, pumpkin or sweet potato would work as well. Substitute or add them to the recipe.)
1 large onion, chopped
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 teaspoon curry seasoning
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 cups vegetable broth
1. Peel squash and cut into one inch pieces. Place pieces in a bowl and cover with water. Cook on high, checking every five minutes. When the squash is tender but not mushy, remove it.
2. In a large pot, place vegetable broth and add squash, onion, seasoning and apples and cook until the vegetables and fruit are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Use immersion blender to liquefy 3/4 of the soup mixture. Add the chunky part back and then serve. I also added a few slices of mango, I had in the refrigerator.
For more recipes from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters, check out the feature “Family Food Matters: 3 healthy dinner recipes from Mark Bittman.”
Needless to say, this was a success. It was smooth and warming, just right for a cool evening. A possible addition is pumpkin pie spice. I am on a kick to add pumpkin pie spice to half of my recipes.
If I could keep only 5 cook books in my kitchen, I would put this one, on the top of my list. I think, you really can make anything from it.
- Savory Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup (veganpotato.com)
- Caramelized Squash (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Butternut Squash Soup (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (frenchleave.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (emily-eats.com)
- A Reader Recipe: Buttercup Squash and Apple Soup (fitsugar.com)