Just in case, anyone does not know my secret, it is that I don’t like to repeat recipes, no matter how good, they are. It is not the best method but with all my cookbooks and recipes from bloggers, I have an unlimited amount of recipes, I want to make. There are foods like salmon and chicken which we eat weekly and at this point, while there are many new recipes, most are similar to what I have made, before.
I was happy when I found this one on allrecipes.com. I love Indian seasonings and often add them to other dishes. Apples always make me happy in main and side dishes as well as desserts. This sounded good. I made a few changes and we had a worthy meal for dinner.
Indian Style Chicken with Apples
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into strips
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (from soup bubbling on the stove)
- 1 cup Tofutti sour cream to replace the dairy yogurt
- pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion and apple to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Cook and stir until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the bell pepper; continue to cook and stir for another 5 minutes. Season with curry powder and cinnamon; cook for a few more minutes to intensify the flavors.
- Stir in the chicken broth and Tofutti sour cream. Return chicken to the skillet and simmer for a few minutes to heat through. Remove from the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.Prep time was only a few minutes and everything went smoothly. This is an easy recipe.