Although the recipe called for canned beets, I had the real thing, so I roasted the beets and sliced them and replaced the canned variety. This is an easy recipe and it cooked quickly. It makes a flavorful side dish and I served it with chicken, green beans and a salad. That made for a very nice dinner.
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 beets roasted and sliced
2 tablespoons golden raisins
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown sugar, oil, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper until thick.
Add the cooked beets and raisins; heat through. . Yield: 2 servings.
This is linked to Real Food Wednesday Citrus Sunday
Risso E Zucca (Rice and Squash)
I started out making one recipe and ended up making another. This is the problem, I find, when I check out a few different recipes. Each one has something good to offer. I wanted a simple recipe, quick to make, considering my time was not my own. I had numerous responsibilities and limited time. This seemed to be perfect and after eating it, we can say, it was near perfect. Everyone had the table enjoyed it and it is dish with multiple textures and multiple tastes. If you are a fan of rice or butternut squash, this is a good choice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups butternut squash, cubed and microwaved for two minutes
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup raisins (I was out of golden so I used the dark raisins)
Heat oil in a large skillet or pot, and sauté onions on medium-high heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add celery, squash and spices, and sauté for another 3 minutes, stirring often. Add rice. Add vegetable broth and raisins Simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes until everything is heated.
Image via Wikipedia
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Kasha with Butternut Squash Cubes (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Butternut Squash Soup (aoifenica.wordpress.com)
- Easy Sweet and Spicy Butternut Squash (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Butternut Squash Muffins (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
This is linked to Friday Favorites Friday Food Grocery Cart Challenge Five Dollar Dinner Challenge Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays Real Food Wednesdays The Local Cook