There are certain salads, we fall back on, a tossed salad, potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw. Nowadays though, salads have become exciting with the addition of mango and avocado and the hot peppers. The look of salad is new but sometimes, we want that traditional potato or macaroni salad. What happened to rice salad?
We visit friends, go to organizational dinners and weddings and I don’t remember seeing rice salads, exciting or plain. I am back to making rice salads. This one is not exciting but it serves its purpose. It has those good vegetables in it. I would put more in, next time. It would go well with a spicy dish.
Rice Salad For a Change
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 small carrot, grated or minced
- 1/8 cup seasoned rice vinegar (I used garlic flavor)
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano